Pages


Sunday, October 21, 2012

Our 1st Adoption Party

We survived our first adoption party today!  This event took place at an enormous furniture retailer (Jordan's for the New Englander's.)  Social workers brought waiting children for games and activities.  Children usually love this furniture store, because the decorations are made of candy.  There is ice cream at 9 am.  There is a trapeze and fountains. This is not your average furniture store. And they had activities like face painting, temp tattoos, and a photo booth.  We were able to meet adoption social workers and give out "fliers".  It feels kind of funny "selling" ourselves.  And it was kind of comical that we were discussing our criteria and talking with social workers while sitting at new dining room sets and mattresses.




The children at the party? Totally adorable! And it did not have the "exploitative" feel I feared it would.  Staff ensured that each child was visited by someone so no one was left out.

The children at this event were older than we were initially looking for. (Typically 7 - 13).  However, I think we are starting to consider being open to a slightly older child or children.  We were hoping for two children under 5, with ideally one of them being under 2.  As I have learned about all the hurdles and red tape, I am starting to considering broadening our criteria.  At the end of the day on Friday, we got a call about a 3.5 yo girl who is legally free for adoption.  Her adoption social worker is the same one who contacted us about the 1st sibling group we ended up saying no to.  I told her maybe, but we are now leaning to "yes." At least after getting a little more information.

I worry that I may feel like missing out on the baby experience. I certainly do not want to take out that need of mine on a vulnerable child.  Then I remind myself that 3 and 4 year olds are so fun and sweet.  There will be upsides to having a child who is verbal, possibly potty-trained, and may be a good sleeper.  (These are maybes.  Fingers crossed).  I will get to enjoy the maternity leave doing fun activities and getting them into a routine.  A 4 year-old can have a say in their room and playroom decor.  There is also the opportunity that we can adopt an infant or toddler later on, after things settle down and we have a little grasp on the whole parenting thing.

I was able to talk to the supervisor for the little girl.  She sounds like it could be a great match.  She is legally free for adoption, and her social worker really wants to find a home for her.  We are hoping to get more information and possibly a picture as soon as this week.

Now, how to stop myself from updating my phone every 3.5 seconds.....

No comments:

Post a Comment