Pages


Thursday, September 6, 2012

Emotionally hard week

I feel like the past week has been hard and painfully slow.  We received another call about two children - also 1 and 3.  We said we are interested, and are waiting for more information.  I find myself checking my e-mail and phone constantly.  When I get a call, I want to tell everyone because I am excited.  But then the process still moves at a snail's pace. 
Now that we are approved, it feels more real.  Our children have already been born.  They are waiting somewhere.  I hope that they are in a good place, but it is also sad to think they are attached to someone else.  They are growing up each day and I am missing it.  Each day that goes by without a call or some kind of step in the right direction is part of their childhood that we are not a part of.  It is almost harder now that two children have been idenitified.
I think these feelings are intensified by the fact that I work every day in protective services.  I see young children coming to our office everyday, and they are having supervised visits.  I wonder if they will be adopted by someone.  I hear parents complain about their children and berate them.  It makes me want a child even more, and to protect them.
I have also been more sensitive lately to people pulling the "You're not a parent" card.  Maybe I want to be, ok? I am working on it.  Just because I am not a parent yet, doesn't make me a total idiot or incapable of empathy.
I am really hoping for good news soon.  The anxiety is killing me.

Here's a Tom Petty Song for you:

The Waiting

No comments:

Post a Comment