Pages


Sunday, August 26, 2012

Big Day!

Yesterday was a rollercoaster of emotions.  I started the day at work, and opened my e-mail to find out that DCF FINALLY approved us!!! We are now able to officially adopt in the state of MA. Just getting that piece of paper seemed like it took forever. In reality, it took 4 months.  Those were 4 of the longest months of my life.
About 2 hours later, I got a call from my social worker.  She wanted to know if we were interested in a sibling group - a 1 year old girl and 3 year-old boy.  I wanted to scream "of-course." I did call my husband, and he agreed that we were interested.  I don't have a lot of details about the children.  But I did see a picture, and they are adorable.  I don't want to post too many specifics because of confidentiality.

It is crazy to think that we could have two toddlers in a relatively short time frame.  This adoption process went from zero to sixty in a matter of hours.  I should know because I work there, but it is true that DCF has 2 paces - painfully slow or lightening-fast.  There have been times I have doubted if we can handle it.  We will go from a childless couple to parents of 2 instantly.  There will be challenges.  We have missed out on their early years, and may have to make up for some of that.  I would like to think we can handle it, because it is what I have wanted for so long.  I hope that like most parents, we will just rise to the occasion.

A big relief is that I was able to  "go public" on Facebook with the news.  We had told close friends and family, but some people still didn't know.  I have been blown away by the kind comments I have received since posting the news.  People I haven't seen in years have sent personal comments about different ways their lives have been touched by adoption.  I can't describe the feeling of having everyone be so happy for you and excited.  It makes me feel like the children will be very loved when they are home with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment