Pages


Monday, May 7, 2012

Getting Teared Up

       This week I have had a lot of "feel-good" moments about adoption.  My in-laws came back from vacation, and talked about how excited they are.  They loved the adoption graduation they went to, and hearing from other families that adopted.  My own parents also can't wait.  My parents talked about going on vacation together with the kids.  My brother wants to teach them snowboarding.  It gets me all teary-eyed knowing how loved and welcomed these children will be.
     I am glad to be in this place, because initially I felt like our families were hesitant about the idea of adoption.  I think it was more that they didn't understand, and had only heard negative stories from a friend or a Lifetime movie.  They just needed time to process everything, and accept that they likely will not have biological grandchildren.  My husband and I both have stepfathers in the picture.  I think they were the ones to embrace the idea first, because they know what it is like to come into a child's life a little later and love them without a biological connection.
     I feel like I know what it is like to love a child before meeting them, and wonder if this is what pregnant women feel like.  I hear a song on the radio, and it brings tears to my eyes.  Today the song was "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perry.  Yesterday, "Forever Young" by Bob Dylan is the song that got me misty-eyed.  I take these songs as signs.  Signs to remind me to keep faith and that our children are out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment